Leisure and Tourism
The AQA GCSE Leisure and Tourism specification gives young people the opportunity to develop a sound knowledge and understanding of the industry.
This course gives students the chance to:
- understand people’s changing leisure activities and travel behaviour
- investigate changes in the pattern of tourism, including the issue of sustainability
- study employment in leisure and tourism and the issues faced by the industry including health and safety
- explore leisure and tourism activities in the UK and abroad, including the businesses and organisations which make up this industry
- gain skills in applying knowledge to real-world situations, including planning and carrying out investigations
- analyse and evaluate evidence and sources to make reasoned judgements and draw conclusions
Key Stage 4
Students take all their examinations for this subject at the end of Year 11. In addition, students complete a piece of controlled assessment which is worth 60% of their overall GCSE grade. This usually focuses on the leisure and tourism facilities in a specified area. This also enables them to develop their independent learning skills.