The Science Faculty at South Shore Academy aims to enhance and develop our pupil’s knowledge and skills in Science. Whilst building on the foundation science that was learnt in primary school we aim to develop students investigative and thinking skills in a hope they appreciate and understand the workings of the world we live in. Pupils discover how scientific ideas contribute to technological change which has huge impacts for the future of industry, business and medicine all of which contribute to improving the quality of life.
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage three, pupils follow a scheme of work that focuses on the three disciplines in Science; Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
The Key Stage 3 Science curriculum at South Shore Academy aims to give students the opportunity to:
- Research, experiment, discuss and develop arguments
- Pursue an independent enquiry into an aspect of Science of personal interest
- Use real-life examples as a basis for finding out about Science
- Use creativity and innovation in Science, and appreciate their importance in enterprise
- Recognise the importance of sustainability in scientific and technological developments
- Explore contemporary and historical scientific developments and how they have been communicated
- Prepare to specialise in a range of science subjects at Key Stage 4 and consider career opportunities both within Science and in other areas that are provided by science qualifications
- Consider how knowledge and understanding of Science informs personal and collective decisions, including those on substance abuse and sexual health
- Make links between Science and other subjects and areas of the curriculum.
Key Stage 4
There are a variety of courses available at Key Stage 4. They have been carefully chosen to meet the needs of our young people and provide them with the opportunities to gain qualifications they need to access science career pathways and courses post 16.
GCSE Science is designed to focus on the topics of science which are relevant to the modern world, and to explore, research, and discover just why science is so important in the 21st Century.
GCSE Additional Science
The Additional Science course centres on developing scientific concepts. The course focuses on scientific explanations and models, and gives students an insight into how scientists develop scientific understanding of ourselves and the world we inhabit.
GCSE Triple Science
Triple Science allows pupils to study Biology, Chemistry and Physics in much further detail. All three subjects allow pupils to
- Develop interest in, and enthusiasm for, Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Develop a critical approach to scientific evidence and methods
- Acquire and apply skills, knowledge and understanding of how science works and its essential role in society
- Acquire scientific skills, knowledge and understanding necessary for progression to further learning.
Triple Science also provides distinctive and relevant experience for students who wish to progress to Level 3 qualifications.